Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Wednesday, March 21

DOSE OF REALITY + {MINI-UPDATES} CANVASES

Yesterday I got my first dose of reality as a blogger.  For me this blog feels like my second baby and when you share something so personal to you with the rest of the world... be prepared for comments of all kinds - positive and some not so positive ones.

I was more than honored yesterday when Apartment Therapy featured my Sniglar makeover. Even though my makeover wasn't exactly a "home office," I was still absolutely THRILLED beyond words for the feature! :) Then I started reading some of the responses and my heart just sank.  There wasn't really that many comments nor were they exactly mean or rude... just natural responses I guess from the short synopsis Apartment Therapy provided.  I can understand where some of the confusion came from so I'm not really sure why they bothered me as much as they did.


It was a good lesson to learn though and kind of exposing to see how much I cared for others' good opinions. The Lord touched and shined on my heart a lot and I realized that His good opinion is what I should treasure most. :)

Okie doke, thanks so much for letting me ramble a little... now onto the mini-update! :)

*    *    *    *    *    *    *

When we first moved into our house and started putting together our family room, we gravitated towards calm soothing colors like whites, grays, and blues. We eventually found our gray couches at West Elm, simple white curtains from Target, and an assortment of blue pillows from West Elm and Marshalls. I'm not sure if I picked the wrong shades but somehow the room ended up feeling dark and dreary.

In hopes of brightening up the room, I was inspired by Pinterest and other blogs to add some bright pops of yellow and so began my long chain of DIY projects. From making the cherry blossom canvases to reupholstering an ottoman that I found on Craigslist for $20, you’d think that I would be 100% satisfied with how the room turned out. Sadly I wasn't.


The room looked fine by itself but it didn't really fit in with the rest of the house. That shade of yellow and the design on the fabric seemed to clash with the rest of the decor. I should have planned better and considered our vision for our home as a whole instead of trying out random ideas and putting countless hours into these projects only to regret it later. DIY-er remorse is what I call it.

So last week, after being dissatisfied with the yellow canvases for the last 9 months, I finally decided to take a chance and change the color. Instead of making and paying for brand new canvases, I painted over the current ones with a light shade of blue. It's hard to tell due to the poor lighting (sorry!) but the canvases ended up looking so much better! It gave the whole room a completely different feel and motivated me to make more updates.


It's pretty amazing how a small color change could make such a big difference! Tomorrow I will be sharing with you another way I was able to incorporate this softer and lighter shade of blue into the room. Hope you stay tuned! :)

Much grace,

5 comments:

  1. weiyaweiya! your diys are awesome! you're right... only God's opinions matter, right? good job with the canvas... it was fine yellow, but good blue too... i wish i can do half as many creative things as you and post it so i can get lots of viewers like you! hahaha :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, congrats on being featured on Apartment Therapy! I think your project rocked. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)