Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Monday, March 12

DIY PORTABLE IRONING BOARDS

Happy Monday! Hope you all had a restful weekend. :) The weather's been strange over here in Texas...one day the temperature's reaching to the high 80s and then the next day there's cold windy downpours in the 40s. E got sick in the midst of this crazy weather, but thankfully he recovered pretty quickly.

Today I want to share with you one of the easiest and most useful items I have made - my portable ironing board! When I started sewing again last year, I wanted a large surface that I could use on top of a table to iron my fabrics on. Dragging out my large ironing board was a pain and my husband would freak out every time he found me ironing on random things - our bed, our chairs, etc.-especially after I burned a hole in our chair once. o.O


I've used these smaller inexpensive versions of the large standing ones. However the surfaces weren't large or sturdy enough when I had to iron my quilting squares.

After doing some research, I decided to make my own and I could not believe how easy it was! Here's how mine turned out:



Materials:

  • thin plywood cut to the desired size (tempered hardboard <like pegboards but without the holes>  also work great if you want a lighter board)
  • a large bath towel 
  • waterproof multi-purpose pads (used for bassinets, changing tables, etc.)
  • hot glue gun
  • fusible web tape
  • flannel fabric (or any durable cotton fabric) to sew a cover for the board 

Directions:
First wrap a large bath towel around the plywood and secure it tightly to the board with a hot glue gun. (Make sure the glue is applied to the back of the board and not the front. Otherwise the glue will melt every time you iron.)
Next trim the waterproof pad to the size of the board and secure it to the top of the towel by ironing on the fusible web tape.

Sew a cover (similar to a large pillowcase) with some flannel fabric and slide the board inside. If you do not own a sewing machine, you can also secure the flannel to the board by hot-gluing it to the board as you did with the towel.


You should end up with a board that's four layers thick (plywood, towel, pad, and cover). Now it's ready for ironing!


I cannot tell you enough how much I love my ironing board! I've seen similar ones sold for close to $30 bucks at Joann's or Hobby Lobby's. Mine cost practically nothing since I already had all the supplies.

Not only has my board been great for small projects, it's also been useful when we have guests stay over who need to iron. When not in use, I simply slide it behind my desk and it's out of sight!

Be back tomorrow with a yummy "spring" recipe! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)