Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Thursday, April 26

[SZECHUAN] RED OIL WONTONS

I'm so excited to share this popular Szechuan dish with you! My husband and I first tried these delicious red oil wontons at a small restaurant in Chinatown, NYC. I still remember when we took our first bite of this juicy little snack served with a tasty chili sauce.  There were no words to describe how good it was... it was the perfect blend of savory, spicy, and slightly sweet. Unable to find them quite as good here in Texas, I decided to try and make my own.  They're fairly easy to make once you have the wonton wrapping technique down.  



Ingredients
1/2 lb. ground pork
1/4 lb. shrimp (chopped)
1 C romaine lettuce or nappa cabbage (finely chopped)
1/4 C fresh or dried shitake mushrooms (finely chopped)
1/4 C chicken broth
1/4 C soy sauce
1 T rice wine
1 tsp grated ginger
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp salt

1 pkg wonton wrappers (~40)
scallions

Dipping Sauce
1 T of homemade chili oil
2 tablespoons black vinegar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorn powder
1 stalk of scallion (finely chopped)





Wrapping Station: 
  • Wonton wrappers
  • Small bowl of water
  • Small spoon  
  • Cutting board or other flat surface
  • Two plates covered with saran wrap and dusted with flour - This will prevent your wontons from sticking to the plate.  If you're not planning on cooking all of them right away, place the extra plate of wontons straight into the freezer while you fill the other plate. Once the wontons firm up in the freezer, store them away in ziplock bags and put them back in the freezer.  



Wrapping Technique:
  1. Lay a sheet of wrapper on a flat surface in the position of a diamond.  
  2. Place a small scoop of the meat mixture in the center.
  3. Slightly wet the edges with your index finger.
  4. Fold the bottom corner up until the points meet.  Gently smooth the edges down until they're tightly sealed.  
  5. Take the two bottom ends and bring them together by sealing the ends with a little bit of water.  
  6. Done! :)




Once all the wontons are wrapped, place them in a large pot of boiling water. Cook until all the wontons float up to the top (~5-10 minutes) and take them out with a slotted spoon. 

Drizzle generously with your dipping sauce and garnish with some scallions before serving. Enjoy! :)

12 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Your hubs and E are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nomnom. I love the flavor combo of shrimp and pork, but T is allergic to all shellfish (both mollusks and crustaceans); sometimes I add a dash of fish sauce to compensate, but its not quite the same =( Can you share the brand of wrappers you use? are the pre-frozen or fresh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This brand of fish sauce is my favorite. Have you tried it before?http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/09/viet-huong-3-crabs-fish-sauce-tasting.html

      I like the wrappers really thin, so I usually just buy the pre-frozen ones. I generally prefer the Hong Kong style for this brand:
      http://www.twinmarquis.com/tm/tm_consumer.html

      Hope that helps! :)

      Delete
  3. yum yum...I used to made wontons but have not for a while...I love your bowl...It's on my list..but the problem is I want every color. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Binh! You should sign up for West Elm's credit card. They occasionally send $25 design dollars for you to use! I got my 3 bowls for 98 cents! ;)

      Delete
  4. Yum yum!!!! I made a ton of wontons before Selah was born and kept them in the freezer. I figured I'd never have time to make them again! I nested by freezing meals ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, this is a nice post. It would be great if you linked to it in my Food on Friday series. Food on Friday – Asian Food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for linking in. We now have a great collection of posts about a variety of Asian cuisines.

      Delete
  6. Oh, boy - another yummy-looking, taste-tempting treat. I'll have to try my hand at making these.

    Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)