Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Tuesday, March 20

IKEA SNIGLAR CHANGING TABLE MAKEOVER

*Before you read on, please keep in mind that this is not my permanent desk... mainly just a space where I can do a quick 5 minute email check or a place to sit and relax at. :) And yes, I do realize that the table is higher than most tables. I plan to have the legs cut shorter or to get a higher chair in the future.

This past weekend my husband and I went to IKEA in search of a small storage shelf. I needed a space to hold the items that I would drop off when I came home (such as my keys and diaper bag). Our house lacks a mudroom or even an entry space so my diaper bag inevitably ended up taking a seat on our dining chair (our garage is connected to our informal dining room). My keys would end up on the dining table or in some other place I happen to leave it - which I would end up forgetting the next day. It was time to find a more permanent home to help lessen my frustration everyday.  

We considered getting a small Expedit shelf but the shelves weren't deep enough for my rather wide diaper bag. Then we saw a sofa table that would've worked a little better but we weren't fond of its $200 price tag.

We were ready to give up and head home when we came across the perfect storage solution in the children’s section. Long story short... we ended up coming home with the Sniglar's changing table for $30. My husband actually was the one who saw this and noticed that the two deep layers would work well. At first I thought he was joking and didn’t take it seriously.  However, the more I looked at it the more I liked the simplicity of it. The deep layers would definitely work and plus it would be a great DIY challenge! With some paint, cute shelf-liners, fabric storage containers, a shelf, and a few pieces of wood, I ended up transforming the changing table into a small workspace for our bedroom (complete with a spot for my diaper bag and keys)!

First I got the Sniglar ready for painting by I taping the areas that I needed to protect.

I then sanded down the wood to get a smooth clean surface.


I didn't have any primer on hand and so I had to skip this step. (For all you professional painters out there... pretend you didn't read that!)


I actually bought an alkyd (oil-based) paint by mistake and didn't realize it until I was halfway through painting. (A strong indication that I'm a complete novice in the painting department o.O) I found the paint to be a lot more sticky and streaky; it also took a whole day to dry. The worst part was the horrible stench it left - I'm convinced that my body's fully saturated with VOC by this point. Sigh. :(


Anyways! After the Sniglar was painted, I laid on a cute shelf-liner that I found at Marshall's months ago. At the time I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it - it was just too cute to pass up! Don't you agree?! ;)



To turn the top layer into a tabletop, I added an elevated surface that would be level with the edge around the changing table. I found an old shelf that my husband removed from our garage, took off the frames and laid the shelf-liner on top to match with the table.


To raise the surface high enough to lay level with the edge, I used two pieces of wood left over from my headboard project and wrapped them in a nonskid shelf-liner that I already had. I secured the liner onto the wood with a staple gun.  




There was no need to permanently attach the two pieces of wood to the shelf because the weight of the shelf and the nonskid liner were enough to keep the shelf from shifting.  


I added some fabric containers on the lower level that I already had and cut out the shelf-liner for the labels.  


The gap in the back held my small IKEA lamp and other accessories very nicely.  


Here's how it looks from the side. I think the elevated surface makes it extra cool! ;)  I will be keeping my keys in that spot next to the lamp - still need to find a cute shallow container for them! ;)



My diaper bag will go into one of these containers.  I'm thinking about putting my Ergo carrier in the other.  





When I finally brought in my chair to sit down, I noticed that the tabletop was slightly higher than normal.  I thought about getting the legs cut shorter eventually or maybe just getting a higher chair. Or... maybe just leaving it so it wouldn't encourage me to stay up too late at nights ;) The size of my chair wasn't exactly appropriate either... a stool may work better. But for now I am super happy with the transformation. What do you all think? :)










































* * * * * * * *

Also I wanted to thank Lindsay @ Southern Lovely for featuring my headboard project yesterday! Her blog is full of so many cute ideas so make sure to check it out!


Happy Tuesday!


Linking up with Kampen Lane...

15 comments:

  1. This is FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! You got it at Ikea?? I may have to swing by there so I can make one of these too!! :) Well.. that's after I get myself a laptop... mine died :(

    Thanks for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes IKEA! :) Thanks so much for your sweet comments, Christine!

      Delete
  2. gorgeous transformation! Come to my house now??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THIS! What an inexpensive but lovely solution! I don't have an IKEA near me, but I might have to keep an eye out for a similar side or end table so I can steal your idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. definitely a great re-purpose! i have the same diaper table (purchased 2nd hand for €9!) that my sweetie has outgrown. your idea of using it as a landing pad/desk might be the perfect next life for this piece - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I constantly have my computer and cord in the floor in the living room. I may use this idea when my daughter outgrows her changing table. I think I will put casters on the bottom and use it to roll to and from the couch when I am not using it. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. totally cute makeover....I would love if you shared it with my readers at Show Off Monday @ Kampenlane.com


    Taylor
    kampenlane.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post!! I can't wait to try this with my old changing table.

    Visiting from House of Helton at www.aleahhelton.blogspot.com Would love a followback from you!! Love your site!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it turned out very pretty. Love the paper.

    Two suggestions: For your keys, what about putting some hooks (can be a small key rack or just hooks)on the side of the table to hold your keys. That way, it could hold other family members keys as well, or a visor or whatever else. Second, what about moving the table to the left of your desk in the photo and place the chair there? That way, you have a chair near your table and someone could also sit on it to put on their boots/shoes or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea and use of space! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Couldn't you have just bought the table in white (I see it online)? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the time, our local IKEA only had it in the birch color. That sure would've saved me all that work for sure!

      Delete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)