Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Tuesday, January 17

DIY STENCILED CANVAS ART

Late last year, while I was doing some cleaning around the house, I came across this air freshener that was almost used up.  I was about to toss the whole thing, but then decided to keep the lid because it had a really unique pattern.  I had no idea what I was going to do with it but kept it just in case.  


Then a few months later, while I was trying to paint over two used canvases that I no longer liked, a great idea popped up in my mind!  For the longest time, our guest bathroom wall (above the toilet) was pretty bare.  I tried hanging a framed drawing that a friend had given to me, but the black and white colors didn't seem to complement the space very well.  I decided to make some canvas art to hopefully liven up that space.  I grabbed some acrylic paints and my air freshener lid and came up with this:




What do y'all think?? :) I personally loved it a lot better. (Sorry I don't have a before picture to show you!)  It's not perfectly painted and still had a few rough edges, but I was pretty satisfied with the way they came out.  

Thinking about trying this out for yourself? Here's what you'll need:

MATERIALS:
  • blank canvas
  • sponge roller
  • paint brushes
  • painter's tape
  • apple barrel's acrylic paint in burnt umber
  • folk art's acrylic paint in metallic inca gold
  • folk art's acrylic paint in metallic ice blue
  • folk art's acrylic paint in metallic peridot
  • plastic lid of a renuzit's air freshener (the pattern will serve as your stencil)

DIRECTIONS:
Using a sponge roller, coat both canvases with burnt umber.  Repeat 2 to 3 layers depending on desired look.  Let the paint dry for 30 min.

Tape off the middle sections using painter's tape to achieve the ribbon look.  Paint in between the tape with metallic inca gold.  Let the paint dry for 10-15 min.

Place the flat side of the air freshener lid in the middle of the "ribbon."  Using a thin paint brush, fill in the empty spaces of your "stencil" with the remaining paints.  One will be in metallic peridot and the other will be in metallic ice blue.

Let the paint dry for another 10 min. before hanging the canvases up.

7 comments:

  1. Creative! You have an eye for making affordable crafts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I try my best to use what I have around the house :) Saving money's one of the highlights of DIY projects!

      Delete
  2. Love the canvases!! And where did you get that great shower curtain??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I got it a few years ago at Marshall's :)

      Delete
  3. Such a great idea!!!!!! It looks GREAT too!!!!

    Thanks for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done! Love the shower curtain too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)