Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Tuesday, January 31

HOMEMADE COUGH SYRUP

Ever since I got back from Austin, my sinuses have been awful. Then recently, I came down with a cough as well. Lying down made it significantly worse and the nights became unbearable due to the lack of sleep.  

Last night, while researching online, I came across this homemade cough remedy.  When I first glanced at the ingredients, I was very skeptical about how effective it'd really be. Plus, the mix did not seem appetizing at all.  But what medicine is, right?

Since I already had all the ingredients at home, and I was desperate for some relief, I decided to give it a try.  


Guess what? It wasn't bad at all! It was very soothing and immediately relieved the itchiness in my throat. It also tasted a lot better than over-the-counter cough syrups. I took 2 teaspoons of it right before bed and actually slept through the night.  


I altered the recipe a little to make it thicker so that the mixture would coat my throat. Here's my version if you'd like to give it a try too:

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp fresh minced ginger
1 T apple cider vinegar
2 T honey

* This will not cure your cough, but it will help soothe and temporary relieve your cough attacks.

Let me know if this works for you! :)

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'll have to remember that for the next time I'm sick. I normally drink lemon ginger tea when my throat hurts from coughing - it's very soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried this specific recipe (and I hope I don't have to anytime soon) but I tried a similar one in the past. The only difference is that it use butter instead of apple cider vinegar. It worked wonders.

    Torsten @ MightyTravels

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)