Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Wednesday, August 29

DIY ENVELOPE THROW PILLOW COVERS




One of you sweet readers requested for a tutorial on sewing these envelope pillow covers. As confusing as the instructions may appear (sorry!), these pillows are actually really easy and quick to make. Basically instead of stitching two of the same-sized fabrics together, you make the back piece 5 inches longer to create the flaps. 

 I actually first learned how to make these from The DIY Dish's website. Below is a quick step-by- step guide that I made for my 20" x 20" pillows, however I would encourage you all to watch The DIY Dish's video tutorial first. 


A = Front Piece 
B + C = Back Pieces




(For my 20" x 20" pillows, I used 3/4 yard of fabric.)


Step 1
Cut out two pieces of fabric, a front piece (A) and a back piece (B+C). You will add five inches to the length of the back piece. Cut the back piece in half to make the flaps of your "envelope" cover.  

Lay fabric B and C side by side, right side up.  One the edges where the two pieces meet, fold over 1/4" of the fabric and then 1/4" again and straight stitch all the way down. This will help create clean edges.

Step 2
Lay fabric A with the right side facing up. Place fabric B, right side facing down, on the left edge of fabric A.  With a 1/4" seam, straight stitch the edge to attach. 

Place fabric C, right side facing down, on the right edge of fabric A.  With a 1/4" seam, straight stitch the edge to attach.  

Step 3
Lay fabric C over B and straight stitch with a 1/4" seam the remaining edges to close the cover. Flip your cover right side out and you're done!   

I really love these covers, because I can wash them at any time and they make it easy for me to change out if I ever get tired of them. Hopefully these instructions weren't too confusing! Please let me know if you have any questions! :)


Have a happy Wednesday!

3 comments:

  1. They are awesome, Weiya! Thanks for sharing the tutorial. Pinning it right away. :) Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read your tutorial - but watching the video definitely helped too! (I'm a visual learner :) Thanks so much for this - off to get fabric to make SIX envelope pillow covers for the teacher!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)