Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Tuesday, August 7

EZ SCRAP QUILT


Every time I clean out our office, I'm embarrassed shocked by how much fabric I've accumulated. It's one of the reasons I took a break from going to Joann's lately. I don't even let myself look at the coupons when they're sent to our house. When I'm at Hobby Lobby, I try my best to steer clear of the fabric section. I promised myself to not buy any more fabric until I've actually used up at least half of what I already had.  Side note: Did you know that even certain Walmarts carry fabrics too?? Argh I just can't seem to get away from them...

So last week, I decided to finally use up my fabrics and make a simple quilt from what I already had.  I've been wanting to make one for a while now, but I always thought that meant having to go shop for more fabrics.  I don't know why it took me so long to do just do this instead...

With E, I knew that I wasn't going to be using any fancy, complicated patterns. Plus, my fabrics were all different sizes - some just quarters, some scraps, and a few that were actually a few yards. I ended up with this 45" x 60" (crib-size) quilt:




For the binding, I just used the leftover scraps, cut them into 2.5" wide strips and sewed them together. 



Besides purchasing the batting and thread, everything else was "free." The fabrics I already had and for the backing, I cut up a white flat sheet (since we only use the fitted sheets) that worked great because it was nice and soft. :)

I've only made one other quilt when I was in college (and that was with the help of a very experienced friend), so this one was FAR from perfect. It was a lot of trial and error. Just don't look at my quilt too closely. ;)

Have any of you attempted any scrap quilts before? Please leave a link to your post/picture in the comment section for us all to enjoy! 

Linking up with: Today's Creative Blog

12 comments:

  1. Wow! You did a great job, Weiya!! I love it. :)

    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you have to sew all the pieces? it turned out so cute, weiya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I have the same problem, but I don't muchly like to quilt. You did a great job though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!! I want to make one too!
    A+ :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome, it is so pretty! I have made a couple quilts before -- I don't have any pictures on my blog -- but I did the flannel rag quilt kinda like this: http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpatternsprojects/ss/rag_quilt.htm I made a huge king sized one for our bed -- it is one of my favorites!! I love quilting -- although I don't think I am very good at it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your quilt and the different pattern of fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW Weiya! GREAT job!! It looks perfect to me!!

    How come you don't use flat sheets.. you have me curious hehe

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  8. CONGRATS!!! You have been featured at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality! Come on over and grab your featured button! You deserve it :)
    http://thediydreamer.blogspot.ca/2012/08/from-dream-to-reality-linky-party-29.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! I am pinning - I've always wanted to make a quilt!!! Thanks Weiya!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great quilt - I just attempted my first "quilt like" project. I am now looking for something else to tackle and this might just be it!

    Thanks for sharing :)
    Shannon @ Sewing Barefoot

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd say you did a great job, your quilt looks lovely! Thank you so much for providing your measurements. I an horrible with numbers and anytime i start to think about quilt measurements I get dizzy ;-) I'll be pinning for later!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)