Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Monday, August 6

MINI PEACH PIES

This is a Sponsored post written by me on behalf of NECTRESSE™Sweetener for SocialSpark. All opinions are 100% mine.


After watching a delicious episode of America's Test Kitchen this past weekend, my husband and I found ourselves craving some yummy peach pie. Since I already had some frozen peaches, I decided to pick up ready-made pie crusts and make some mini pies. Instead of using my regular organic cane sugar, I tried out this brand new all natural no calorie NECTRESSE™Sweetener.
Nectresse product family.jpg

When I first received this sample, I didn't really know what to expect. Other sugar substitutes that I've tried in the past were pretty disappointing, but this "monk fruit" definitely got me interested. Supposedly the only natural sweetener made from fruit, Nectresse uses monk fruit extract - a small green melon that's found in remote regions of Asia - and blends it with other natural sweeteners (sugar, molasses, and erythritolfor its rich sweet taste.  

I first tried it straight out of the package. It did have a "unique" taste, however it wasn't a weird or bitter aftertaste like most other substitutes. A bit relieved, I went ahead and used it for my pies. Here was my quick and easy recipe:

Ingredients

1 sheet of pie crust
1 egg (beaten)
2 C frozen peaches (thawed and cut into small bite-size chunks)
1 T lime juice

1/8 C all-purpose flour
1/8 C NECTRESSE™Sweetener (about 6 packets)
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
a dash of nutmeg

panko breadcrumbs* (optional)

Directions
Preheat the oven at 450 degrees. 

With a cookie cutter, carefully cut out 8 circles and gently press them into the insides of a muffin tin.  Brush on a thin layer of the egg to keep the crusts from getting soggy later.  


In a large bowl, add the lime juice and flour mixture (flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and sugar) to the peaches and combine well.  


Next, fill the cups with the peach filling. For the top crusts, I played around with the leftover dough. I also topped some with panko breadcrumbs for a different added texture.    


Pop them in the oven for 10 minutes on the middle rack. Drop the temperature down to 325 degrees and bake them for another 25 minutes. 

Once they're done, set them aside for 15-30 minutes to help the pies set. Enjoy while warm!


*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *


They weren't the prettiest pies, but they sure were tasty! :D The NECTRESSE™Sweetener didn't leave any strange tastes and I was happy with the results. 


I later tried Nectresse some more and found that it worked well with cold drinks like lemonade. However in hot drinks, like my coffee, I wasn't a very huge fan of the "slight" taste it left. 

Although NECTRESSE™Sweetener is definitely one of the better tasting and healthier sugar substitutes, I will most likely still stick with my organic cane sugar for baking and honey and agave for my drinks.

For more info on this sweetener, make sure to check out Nectresse's website for a FREE sample of NECTRESSE™Sweetener and great recipes as well! 

Also check out Lisa Ling sharing her personal experience with Nectresse:

Do any of you prefer sugar substitutes? Which ones do you currently use right now?
Visit Sponsor's Site

Linking up with: Today's Creative Blog

9 comments:

  1. Monk Fruit sounds silly. For some reason i thought of coconuts. I bet your pies were really yummy :) I think they look pretty good.
    I'd rather not use any sugar if I can help it.
    If I drink coffee I'll use organic sugar, and if I have to use a substitute then Sweet-and-Low.
    I pour honey or molasses into my oatmeal.
    I drink my tea straight. Except for when I'm feeling fancy and I'll add soymilk/almond milk and honey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are super cute and delicious looking mini pies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peach is the absolutely best pie in the world! I wouldn't dare make little ones, for it would be too easy to have...several? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, unless you have health problems natural sugar is still the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had peach pie.. isn't that sad? The mini pies look soooo CUTE Weiya!!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really cute mini pies! This is the first I've heard of Nectresse. Must give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)