Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Thursday, January 24

DIY KITCHEN MAT




I've been wanting to replace our ratty old kitchen mat for awhile now.  Although I really liked our old one, I wanted something a little more playful this time and preferably easier to clean.  


When I ended up having extra fabric leftover from the runner, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to give my mat a little makeover. ;) The duck fabric was perfect too because it was nice and sturdy. 


Since I didn't have exactly the right "width" left, I cut my fabric apart and then sewed it together to have a better fit. 


I ironed down the seams so that they would lay flat. 


Next, I sprayed some adhesive on top of the mat and then started wrapping my fabric over it. 
  

Oh the wonders of duct tape... hehe. 




Make sure you pull all the edges of the fabric tight before taping them down. 




Finally paint on a layer of water-based polycrylic and let the mat dry for a few hours. This will help protect the fabric from yellowing and provide you a wipe-able surface!



That's it! Wasn't that super easy? :D Have you ever tried covering your old mats before?

7 comments:

  1. I love it and love that it ties into your dining room with the matching runner. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, Weiya! It looks fantastic. Hope you are well. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Do you know if the polycrylic is safe to use for placemats?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool idea. I like your fabric choice too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weiya, where did you get the fabric? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzy! I got this from a craft store we have here called Hobby Lobby. I'm not sure if there's one in New Jersey though...

      Delete
  6. Never tried anything like that, but I sure love it! =) An easy way to get exactly the look and colors that you need!

    Anja @ cocalores.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)