Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Monday, October 21

KOREAN SPICY RICE CAKES + RAMEN



Whenever I crave Korean food, Maangchi is always my go-to source for delicious recipes and easy-to-follow videos. Recently I've been craving this popular Korean street snack, otherwise known as rabboki.  It's a delicious combination of ramen plus rice cakes in a spicy sauce. I finally had an excuse to make it last week when a good friend and I decided to hold a Pride & Prejudice marathon at my house (the A&E version of course!). We had hot tea and snacks throughout the day and then this yummy dish among some other Korean dishes for dinner. Definitely our idea of a perfect day! ;)

Being that this was my first time making this, I can happily say that it was a success. I used Maangchi's dukbokki recipe with a few alterations (i.e. the ketchup and ramen). Hope you all enjoy it as much as I did!



Ingredients

4 C of water
10 dried anchovies
1 lb Korean rice cakes (cylinder-shaped)
1 pack of Korean ramen
1/2 lb fish cakes
2 hard boiled eggs, shelled
1/3 C hot pepper paste
1/3 C ketchup
1 T sugar
3 stalks of scallions, cut into 3" pieces 

Directions
Soak rice cakes in warm water for half an hour.  Drain and set aside.

In a large sauce pan, bring water to a boil. Drop in the anchovies, turn the heat down to medium high and let it slowly boil for another 10 min. Remove the anchovies.

Add the hot pepper paste, ketchup and sugar and stir well. Add the rice cakes, fish cakes, eggs and scallions (white parts) and bring to a boil. Stirring frequently, cook for another 8 minutes or until the rice cakes have soften and the sauce has thicken. Finally break the ramen into small chunks, add it into the pan and cook for another 2 minutes. 
Add up to an additional half cup of water if more liquid is needed. Right before it's done, add in the remaining scallions (green parts). Serve while hot.

2 comments:

  1. I want to make this next time Lily and Mary come over to visit me! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)