Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Monday, November 25

QUICK AND TASTY STEAK SALAD

I never could have imagined how tiring different it'd be going from one child to two. For those of you who have two or more kids - major hats off to you! :) Before the days of little brother, I use to get excited about looking for new recipes and prepping for meals. These days, I'm just happy if there's something edible and healthy on the table when my husband gets home. 

Lately I've been adding a lot of salads into our rotation. I forget how simple and delicious they can be. They're super versatile and can be made with so many combinations. Last week I made this yummy steak salad with a side of Trader Joe's organic tomato and roasted red pepper soup.  I don't really have a recipe to share, since it was pretty much thrown together with whatever was in our fridge.  But basically I use one source of protein (shredded rotisserie chicken, steak, beans, etc) and then add nuts (almonds, pecans, cashews), fruits (mandarin oranges, apples, craisins, tomato, etc.) and cheese (cheddar, parmesan, blue cheese, etc.) to the lettuce. Here's the combination I used that night in case you're curious...



INGREDIENTS
skirt steak
romaine lettuce, chopped
Roma tomatoes, sliced
honey roasted pecans
mandarin oranges
some type of sharp cheese (I used Trader Joe's Unexpected Cheddar), crumbled or shaved
green onions, sliced (optional)

Sauce for Steak Marinade
1/4 C reduced sodium soy sauce
1/3 C grapeseed oil
1 tsp sesame oil
1 clove of minced garlic
1/2 tsp minced ginger

***Set aside about 3 T of the sauce to drizzle on the salad (this can vary due to how much dressing you like on your salads).  

DIRECTIONS
Combine and whisk together all your sauce ingredients into a small bowl. Set aside some sauce to dress the salad. Toss the marinade and the steak into a ziplock bag and let it sit for about an hour before cooking. Once it's ready, sprinkle on a generous amount of black pepper and a light sprinkle of salt on both sides before cooking. Since I don't have a grill, I just cooked it on my cast iron pan for about 3-4 minutes on each side. 

Meanwhile place the lettuce and tomatoes into a salad bowl. Drizzle in the sauce and toss well. Add the remaining ingredients and lightly toss everything together. Top the salad with the steak and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)