Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Sunday, December 23

DUTCH DUTCH BABY!



Also known as a German pancake, the first time I tried this yummy breakfast dish was at the Original Pancake House. This past week I started having major cravings for it every night. I'd go to sleep thinking about it and wake up debating whether or not we should make a quick trip to the pancake house. After finding a pretty simple recipe like this one, I finally decided yesterday to give it a try.


Ingredients
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 C whole milk, warm
1 C all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 T butter

Directions
Place a 12" cast iron pan in the oven on the medium rack and preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, pour in the eggs, milk, flour, salt and vanilla and mix everything at high speed (using an electric mixer or blender) for about a minute. Your batter should be light and airy. 

(Side note: It is important to use warm milk and room temperature eggs or the pancake will not rise well. For the milk, I heated it in the microwave for about a minute. For the eggs, I placed them in a hot bowl of water for 5 minutes.)

Once the oven is ready, reduce the heat to 425 degrees and carefully take out the pan. Melt the butter in the pan until the insides are all evenly coated.   

Pour in the batter and quickly return it to the oven to bake for 12-15 minutes until the sides are puffed up and golden brown. 


Once it's done, you should be able to slide it right off onto a large plate. Serve immediately!


I personally like my dutch baby with some melted butter, lots of powdered sugar and freshly squeezed lemon juice. For my husband, I heated up some thinly sliced apples (while the pancake was baking) on a separate pan with melted butter, brown sugar and a pinch of cinnamon. Maple syrup or whipped cream with fresh fruit also make great toppings! 




*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    

For a more crepe-like version of the dutch baby, I really liked this recipe from a Beautiful Mess. Set the oven at 350 instead to preheat the pan/oven and bake at the same temperature.

4 eggs, 2/3 C flour, 2/3 C milk, 1 T sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 T of butter 
between 2 small cast iron pans




*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *


Our family loved this dish and we will definitely be making it often. It took only a few minutes to whip up and the rest of the work was left to the oven. Unlike regular pancakes, I don't have to stand by the stove the whole time and worry about burning or messing them up. Plus I don't have to worry about the pancakes getting cold while I make the rest of them.  

P.S. This recipe would typically serve about 4 people. However, we have big eaters in our family and it fed the 3 of us (2 adults and a toddler) perfectly! ;)

Do any of you share our love for this yummy breakfast dish?? 

Until next time,




1 comment:

  1. Somehow I missed this post! German pancake is my favorite!! You're truly amazing! Daniel and Ethan are very very blessed~

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)