Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Tuesday, January 31

HOMEMADE COUGH SYRUP

Ever since I got back from Austin, my sinuses have been awful. Then recently, I came down with a cough as well. Lying down made it significantly worse and the nights became unbearable due to the lack of sleep.  

Last night, while researching online, I came across this homemade cough remedy.  When I first glanced at the ingredients, I was very skeptical about how effective it'd really be. Plus, the mix did not seem appetizing at all.  But what medicine is, right?

Since I already had all the ingredients at home, and I was desperate for some relief, I decided to give it a try.  


Guess what? It wasn't bad at all! It was very soothing and immediately relieved the itchiness in my throat. It also tasted a lot better than over-the-counter cough syrups. I took 2 teaspoons of it right before bed and actually slept through the night.  


I altered the recipe a little to make it thicker so that the mixture would coat my throat. Here's my version if you'd like to give it a try too:

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp fresh minced ginger
1 T apple cider vinegar
2 T honey

* This will not cure your cough, but it will help soothe and temporary relieve your cough attacks.

Let me know if this works for you! :)

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'll have to remember that for the next time I'm sick. I normally drink lemon ginger tea when my throat hurts from coughing - it's very soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried this specific recipe (and I hope I don't have to anytime soon) but I tried a similar one in the past. The only difference is that it use butter instead of apple cider vinegar. It worked wonders.

    Torsten @ MightyTravels

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the details.. I was not knowing that we can made cough syrup at home..
    There is one adulsa cough syrup made by Sheetal herbal there product is also useful and effective.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)