Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Tuesday, October 16

SHADOW PRINTING WITH INKODYE



I first heard about Inkodye through the very talented Jessica from How About Orange. It is a light-sensitive fabric dye that works on natural materials like cotton, linen, silk, suede and even wood. The dye goes on clear, but as soon as it hits direct sunlight, the colors start appearing in an instant! After checking out all the fun designs that Jessica had made, I couldn't resist and purchased a 4 oz. bottle online. It was a quick and easy process, and I received my dye in the mail pretty soon after. 

For my first project, I created a simple "smile" print on a pillow cover. 
  • I used a 1:1 ratio of dye to water to make the dye stretch a little more.
  • Working in a dimly lit room, I spread the dye evenly over the fabric with a foam brush until it's fairly saturated. Then I blotted any excess dye with a paper towel.
  • I laid my "SMILE" block over the fabric before placing it under direct sunlight.
  • After 10 minutes, I took my fabric inside before removing the block. Then I immediately washed the fabric under hot soapy water to set the print. 

It was kind of disappointing when my finished product turned out so streaky. I'm thinking of using a foam roller next time to help the dye spread more evenly.  Or I may need to just practice on a smaller surface area first. 

I did like Inkodye lot better though than regular fabric dye, because it didn't leave the fabric stiff after I washed and dried it. Plus it was super cool watching the fabric change right before my eyes. It's kind of addicting. ;)

Have any of you ever tried Inkodye before or seen any interesting projects made by it? I'd love to hear from you. :)

2 comments:

  1. I actually LOVE the streaks. I find it gives it a worn look!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)