Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Tuesday, September 11

SOY SAUCE CHICKEN


Hi everyone! Hope this week's been treating you all well. Sorry I've been away a little more than usual. E's been getting over a cold and we're slowly coming back to our normal routine. 

Today I'd like to share with you another favorite comfort food of ours. I've been needing really quick and easy recipes recently, because E's been napping later and later in the afternoons (and needing me to stay with him until he's asleep). So I'm left with hardly any time to cook before my husband gets home. This popular Chinese dish is one of my favorites because it involves very little prep work and uses simple ingredients. Plus it's delicious over a large bowl of rice!

(My camera died by the time I was done cooking, so please excuse the poor quality from my phone!)




Ingredients
2 C chicken broth
1/2 C low sodium soy sauce (1 C soy sauce if not using a pressure cooker)
1/3 rice wine
4 cloves of garlic
2 1/4 in. slices of ginger
2  star anise
2 oz. rock sugar (1/2 

1 pack of drumsticks (~5 drumsticks)
2 blocks of savory baked tofu (sliced)
6 eggs

Directions
Bring a small pot of water to boil. Gently place in your eggs and boil for about 10 minutes. Run under cold water until the eggs are cooled down. Break off the shells and set the eggs aside. 



Next set two blocks of baked (friend) tofu on a cutting board. (You can find these at any asian/chinese supermarket.)


Slice them into thin strips about a 1/4 inch thick. 



Depending on how sweet you'd like the sauce to be, you can use more or less of the rock sugar. If you're unable to find these, brown sugar works as well. 




In a pressure cooker, pour in all the ingredients except for the eggs. Cover the lid and cook on high heat. Once the pressure is reached, immediately turn the heat down to low and cook for 30 minutes. 


(Side note: If you don't have a pressure, pour all the ingredients into a large pot except for the chicken, eggs, and sugar. Bring everything to a boil and then add the remaining ingredients. Turn the heat down to medium low and cook for 40 minutes. Stir frequently to make sure everything's coated by the sauce.)


Turn off the stove and set your pot aside on a cool surface. Once the pressure is released, carefully open the pot and add in the eggs. Stir around gently to make sure the eggs are submersed in the sauce. Turn the fire back on to medium low heat. Let the eggs simmer for another 15 minutes. 

The longer you let the eggs sit in the sauce, the more flavorful they'll be. A lot of recipes leave the eggs in the sauce overnight before serving. My family doesn't mind as much so we usually eat everything right away.  

Serve everything over rice with your favorite veggies. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. That looks delicious and comforting :). I hope your little one gets better and your schedule returns to normal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! That looks fantastic! I hope your little guy gets to sleep easier soon. I know that feeling...naptimes are when I get stuff done too. :) Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had tofu - used star anise - or rock sugar! It looks great :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)