Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Tuesday, September 18

SINGAPOREAN CHICKEN & RICE



A friend of ours made this for us a few years ago and I instantly fell in love with it. It's a very refreshing, light, but flavorful dish that is great to serve especially during those hot summer days. Since I didn't have their exact recipe, I found this one from Steamy Kitchen (one of my frequent go-to sites by the way!) and made some alterations based on our family's tastes. Last week, I decided to make it again so I thought I'd share it with you all. 

You will be blessed with heavy garlic breath afterwards. Just FYI. ;) So worth it though!


Excuse the fried eggs... those were for E. ;)


Ingredients
Chicken
1 whole chicken
2 scallion stalks
2 slices of ginger
kosher salt
sesame oil

Rice
1 T grapeseed oil
1/4 tsp. grated ginger
1/4 tsp. grated garlic
2 C brown rice
2 1/4 C of chicken broth, reserved from the chicken
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. sesame oil

Chili Sauce
2 T chicken broth, reserved from the chicken
2 chili peppers, sliced thin
1 T fresh lime juice
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. grated ginger
1/4 tsp. grated garlic

1 cucumber, thinly sliced
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced

thinly sliced scallions & cilantro*

Directions
Leaving the skin on, take a small handful of salt and rub the chicken all over to clean it. Rinse thoroughly under cold water and dry it with a paper towel. Take another handful of salt and rub it all over the chicken again, this time on the inside and outside. Stuff the inside with scallion stalks and ginger.  

Place the whole chicken in a large pot of water (about two inches above the chicken) and bring it to a boil. Once it comes to a rolling boil, turn the heat down to medium low and let it simmer for another 40 minutes. Immediately remove, discarding the onion and ginger) and gently submerge the chicken into a large ice bath. Leave aside for one hour. 

Using a skimmer, remove any any scum from the broth. Set aside the broth to use later for your rice and sauce.

Rice: In a medium frying pan, heat the oil over medium high heat.  Once hot, add in the ginger and garlic and quickly move it around the pan for 30 seconds. Pour this mixture into the rice, add the remaining ingredients and cook everything in a rice cooker.

Chili Sauce: Puree all the ingredients together in a blender. Serve in a small bowl.

Once the chicken's ready, remove from the ice bath and rub a light coat of sesame oil all over the chicken. Carve the chicken into smaller pieces and arrange neatly on a large plate. Garnish with thinly sliced scallions and cilantro if preferred. 

Serve everything together. Drizzle the chili sauce over the rice and vegetables before eating!  :)

2 comments:

  1. ooh, this is making me hungry, better go grab a bite~ And I'll definitely try this recipe, seems simple enough for me:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks and reads like a light healthy yummy meal. thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)