Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Friday, September 28

HOW TO REMOVE ACRYLIC PAINT OFF A CANVAS



Happy Friday everyone! First of all, I just wanted to thank you all so much for your encouraging comments on my last post. I'm so glad to know that I wasn't the only one feeling down about blogging. I was also really happy to hear from so many new readers and wanted to take a minute to welcome you all! =) 

Usually on Fridays, I share a "Friday Treats" post on my favorite findings for the week. I'm going to take a little break from that today to share with you all a little discovery I made!

*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *

Have any of you ever spent so much time on a project only to find out you made a huge mistake?

Well on Wednesday, I decided to create an alphabet art to hang in our home. I've seen so many cute prints on Pinterest that I finally gave in and bought myself a huge canvas to work on. :) 

So after spending hours painting on each letter and being quite satisfied with the outcome, I was so excited to show my husband when he came home from work that night.  He looked over at it and was silent for a few seconds, then he (my wonderful husband) goes... "Honey, have you really looked at it? I think you might want to look at it again a little more carefully."

I had left out "O" and "U" on purpose, but do you see what else was missing??? o.O


I COMPLETELY LEFT OUT THE LETTER "K."  -.-

When I saw that, I just sat there for the longest time with my eyes and mouth wide open in disbelief. (Meanwhile my husband was trying really hard not to burst out laughing.) I was so sad and pretty sure I had ruined the entire thing. 

After a few minutes of "Ohhh MY goodness...seriously???...how did I miss that?" I decided to do some research to see if there was any hope on saving my beloved painting. I needed to get rid of the letters "I" and "J" and re-do the letters to fit in "K."  I came across the suggestion to try rubbing alcohol. Half an hour later, look what happened!





Materials
paper towels
rubbing alcohol
small foam roller
martha stewart's acrylic craft paint in "wedding cake"

Directions
Lay the canvas flat on the floor. 

Fill a small bowl with rubbing alcohol. Dip a small part of your paper towel in it and gently start rubbing off the paint. As you rub, the alcohol will break down the paint and start slowly flowing off.  Wipe off the excess wet paint to keep the canvas as dry as possible.

Continue this until the majority of the paint is off. You should be left with a large smeared area on the canvas. Gently lift the canvas and place your palm underneath the targeted area. Dip your paper towel in more rubbing alcohol and start wiping that area down to get it as clean as possible. 

By now your canvas should be fairly clean. To fix the slightly gray area, take Martha Stewart's acrylic paint in the color wedding cake and gently rub a light layer onto that area with your finger. I tried using a brush first but it wasn't able to blend into the canvas as well.  Then I used a small foam roller and went over that entire area with a light coat to even out the whole area.  

I was so excited to see my canvas looking pretty much like new again! After I drew and painted on the correct letters, it was as if the whole incident had never happened! 


Has this ever happen to any of you? Were you able to save your projects?

15 comments:

  1. hehe -- too cute! love the final product and thank goodness for solvents :-) Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness you were able to save your canvas and all your hard work. I have been there, I've totally forgotten something that seems so unbelievable to ever forget..like your 'k'. The canvas turned out GREAT...even more impressive since you had to scramble to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouff!!!! Way to go Weiya!! You saved it!!! It looks fabulous! Yes, I just hate it when stuff like that happens! But you fixed it!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute!! I like it!!
    What kind of stencils did you use?
    I also really like the goldenrod color used for the heart and the U. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heya!

    I just found you blog through the 'followers to friends' blog hop, and I am so glad I did! Your blog is so cute, I love the photos. I'm glad your hard work paid off, it really looks awesome!

    I am a new follower :)

    Let me know if you stop by mine!

    Sara

    http://pretty-in-pink-blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful canvas, I'd love to do one like that for my house sometime, it turned out so well, even after the mishap! Lovely blog by the way, I can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! All the pictures you post of your house are so beautiful! This is a great addition to that and great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a cute art project! glad you found a way to fix your #fail! lol happens to me all the time! great blog! By the way, I'm following you courtesy of the bloghop! I hope you'll visit my blog and follow me too! :o)

    http://www.thedumpyduchess.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Weiya! I love the painting! I would have never imagined a simple alphabet painting would be so nice! And good job on fixing up the painting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! You saved my daughter. She made a canvas from scratch, and does not like her project at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow.. thanks, I am going to try it.. just googled to find out how to do it.. have this beautiful painting that I have been going over and over to fix one part of lotus flower petal and cannot get it right now it is a heavy painted mess!!!! wish me luck:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing this interesting and informative article, painting with airless spray gun will be faster and more interesting!

    Airless Paint Sprayer

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you times a million! This just saved a painting I've been working on for a year!! On the final details (top layer of paint) I messed up! The alcohol easily lifted the top layer of paint and didn't affect any paint underneath! Will use this tip the rest of my life

    ReplyDelete
  14. THANK YOU SO MUCH THANKSSSSSSSSS (i just messed up on this giant canvas that I bought and this is so helpful! thanks again!)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)