Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Saturday, September 15

HOMEMADE BAGELS


Our family LOVES bagels, so when I found this recipe from Sophisticated Gourmet, I was beyond excited! There was no need for any fancy kitchen equipment and the recipe required only 5 simple ingredients. 
The process did take some time though (~2 hours), but the results were so worth it! 




Ingredients
1 pack of active dry yeast (~2 tsp.)
1 ½ tablespoons of sugar
½ cups of warm water 
3 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons of salt 

*optional - toppings: sesame seeds, poppy seeds, shredded cheese, minced garlic, etc. 



Directions

Separate out 1/2 C of warm water in a bowl. Pour in the sugar and active dry yeast. Do not stir. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then stir until everything dissolves.


In a large mixing bowl, pour in the flour and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the yeast mixture and remaining warm water. Gently combine until the dough is formed. On a floured surface, knead your dough for about 10 minutes, working in as much flour as possible. Roll it into a ball.

 

Lightly oil a large mixing bowl. Put the dough in and coat all sides with oil. Cover the bowl with  a damp towel and place it in a warm place for 1 hour. Let it rise until it doubles in size. 
 

Remove the cloth and punch the dough down. Let it rest for another 10 minutes. Split the dough in half and divide each half into 6 equal pieces. You should be left with a total of 12 pieces.   


Preheat the oven to 425ºF.  

Gently roll the pieces into round balls. Dip your index finger into some flour and press it into the center to form a ring. Swing the dough around your finger for a few seconds to stretch the ring out.  Repeat with the remaining balls.

 

Place them all on a lightly oiled baking sheet.  



Cover with a damp paper towel and let the dough rest for 10 minutes. 

Meanwhile boil a large pot of water. Turn the heat down to medium and gently lower a few bagels in.  Let them sit for about a minute on each side. For chewier bagels, let them sit for 2 minutes on each side. The bagels will expand in the water. 

P.S. Don't worry if they start looking all wrinkly and ugly. They'll look great once you bake them! ;)



Repeat with the remaining bagels and place them back on the oiled baking sheet when done. 

If you want plain bagels, skip to the next set of directions. If you would like to add toppings, then brush each bagel with egg wash before sprinkling on your toppings. For mine, I used shredded parmesan, garlic powder and sesame seeds (separately).  


Bake for 20 minutes on the medium rack. Depending on your oven, you may want to take them out at 18 minutes so that they don't get too dark.



Let them cool off on a metal rack before serving. Enjoy!!!



P.P.S. We sliced ours in half and lightly toasted each side on our cast iron with some butter. They were delicious! =D

7 comments:

  1. They look so amazing! I'm sure they taste as yummy as they look. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I am so going to have to try these :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours look better than any storebought!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really impressed. Those looks delicious. They are so perfect, they look like they should have come out of a bakery or bread shop. I've never thought of making my own bagels but now I am tempted. Really well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It had slipped my mind that I used to make bagels. They were only a bit of extra work and we were able to make them in a reasonable size (unlike the giants or minis found in stores). I should do it again. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm guessing you take the pictures? I love them all!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)