Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Wednesday, September 12

DIY MAKEUP PALETTE


 

Remember these cute UNII palettes that I shared last Friday? 

Well this week I decided to make my own version for the tiny amount of makeup that I had. I really liked the idea of having them organized this way for easier access. 

After researching online, my favorite method was by Brit + Co and her use of metal pencil cases. They're thin, sturdy and come in all sizes.  I found a great deal on this one from Marshall's for only $3.99!



Materials used:
  • thin metal case (gift card boxes (can be found at Michaels), art pencil cases, etc.)
  • magnetic strips
  • Xacto knife
  • rubbing alcohol (not shown)
  • label maker* (optional)


Since my products weren't anything fancy, the palettes popped right out with an Xacto knife. If you use more expensive products, I recommend looking at some depotting videos online. You don't want to risk chipping your expensive powders. 



Wipe off any excess glue from the tin with rubbing alcohol. Label and adhere a magnetic strip to the back. The more strips you're able to adhere, the better.  


Repeat with all your powders. Make sure you wipe down the case with rubbing alcohol before placing your powders back in. 

 

Since I had some extra space, I took out one of the mirrors from my old cases and added it in. 

So happy to finally get rid of these bulky containers! Or I guess I COULD re-purpose them to store jewelry or craft items instead...


What do you all think? =)  I rarely wear makeup except for special occasions - but it's nice to have everything in one place now. It's also a lot more travel-friendly too.  Plus, I just saved myself $25. ;)

9 comments:

  1. So smart and compact! Great thinking! And I adore that you can repurpose the other containers for small bits or even ear-buds. Win win!!

    xo!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I've been wanting an eyeshadow palette.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant. What a great outside of the box solution to organizing your makeup. Truly and aha moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!!! I am so going to try this, and those other containers can certainly be re-purposed :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great way to put everything in one place! Love it!!!

    --Margo
    http://www.craftpond.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a FANTASTIC idea! Can't wait to declitter my makeup drawer :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go WEIYA!!! What a great idea!! YAY on saving $25!!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really cute! I want to make this now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)