Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Wednesday, July 18

KOREAN SPICY BEEF & VEGETABLE SOUP




Last month in a post, I mentioned having this very delicious spicy brisket noodle soup with a good friend of mine at this Korean restaurant. From that day on, I started craving it all the time and must have went back at least 4 times since then. It was one of those dishes that once I got it in my head, I couldn't get it out until I had some! ;)

Unfortunately this place was kind of far from my house so I decided to try making it myself. In the original recipe, this dish called for some special ingredients like fernbrake and bean sprouts, none of which I had on hand nor wanted to make a trip to the Asian market for. I decided to sub the veggies with ones that my husband would actually eat like purple cabbage.

I used this basic recipe by Maangchi and altered it a little to fit our family's tastes.

Ingredients
1.5 lb brisket
half a white onion
8 garlic cloves

Hot Sauce Mix

2 T Korean chili pepper powder
1/2 T grapeseed oil
2 T sesame oil
1 T fish sauce
2 T soy sauce
1 tsp cracked pepper
1 T salt

a bunch of scallions (6 stalks)
half a purple cabbage

*noodles - wu-mu, cellophane, thin spaghetti, etc. (optional)

Directions
Place the brisket, onion, and garlic cloves in a large pot. Fill it with water about 1-2 inches above the meat. Cook in a large pressure cooker for about an hour and a half. (I like the meat really tender, but if you don't just cook it in a regular pot over high heat for about one hour.)


While the meat is cooking, chop up the scallions and purple cabbages into large chunks and set aside. Mix together the hot sauce ingredients and dump it onto the vegetables. Mix together all the ingredients until the vegetables are fully saturated with the sauce. Set aside for 30 minutes.

Once the meat is ready, remove the meat and shred it with the grain. If it's not soft enough, simple slice it thin against the grain. Throw the meat into the vegetable bowl and mix them together well.

Remove the onion and garlic from the broth. Dump the meat + vegetable mixture back into the pot. Bring it back to a boil and then simmer it on medium low for another thirty minutes. If you're like me and prefer the meat softer, cook it in the pressure cooker for another thirty minutes.


Add more salt to desired taste. Serve the soup over noodles or with rice and enjoy!

2 comments:

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)