Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Tuesday, July 31

CHINESE GROUND PORK WITH TOFU AKA "MAPO TOFU"





Today I would like to share with you another comfort food that our family loves! Mapo Tofu is a popular dish originated from the Sichuan province in China. Typically it is known for being so spicy that it'll make you break out in a sweat. :D


When I was young, I remember the time my parents' friends came over to make this dish for us. There was so much smoke and heat coming from the kitchen that our smoke alarm went off! Anyone who walked in immediately felt their nose and eyes stinging from the spiciness!

Being a huge fan of spicy foods, I love this dish just the way it is. However, since E started eating with us, I've had to tone down this recipe a lot. It's still extremely tasty, just minus the heat. ;) For this recipe, I used a combination of the black bean sauce and chili garlic sauce since they're easier to find for most people. However, if you can handle spicy foods and have access to an Asian grocery store, I'd recommend just buying the chili black bean sauce or the guizhou black bean chili sauce.

Ingredients
1/2 lb. lean ground pork
1 tsp white pepper
1 T soy sauce
1 T rice wine
1/2 T cornstarch

2 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 14 oz. block of tofu, medium firmness(cubed)

1 T grapeseed oil
1 T black bean sauce
2 tsp chili garlic sauce

1 tsp Japanese sesame oil
1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
2 C chicken broth
cornstarch slurry - 1 T cornstarch + 1 T water

one handful of cilantro (chopped)
1/2 T freshly ground szechuan peppercorn powder

Directions
Marinate the ground pork with white pepper, soy sauce, rice wine, and cornstarch. Set aside for half an hour in the fridge. 

In a separate bowl, mix together the black bean sauce, chili garlic sauce, sesame oil, and soy sauce. Set aside.

Heat oil in a saute pan or wok over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, throw in the garlic and quickly move it around the pan. Add the ground pork and start breaking it apart into small pieces. Once the meat is brown, pour in the black bean mixture and stir the sauce in well. Add in the tofu and gently stir everything together.

Pour in the chicken broth and bring the heat down to medium. Gently stir everything again until the broth comes to a boil. Pour in the cornstarch slurry and stir until the sauce thickens.


In a separate pan, toast up some peppercorns. Grind them up and set aside.



Turn off the heat. Throw in the cilantro and peppercorn powder right before serving it over a bowl of steaming rice. Enjoy!



Side note: Unlike the picture shown, I normally eat it with TONS of cilantro! :D


Linking up with: Peas & Crayons

4 comments:

  1. Mapo tofu always reminds me of the skit we did for Chinese class - one guy on the team was a middle-aged white guy (atrocious accent) so we made his character a whiny American businessman demanding his Mapo tofu! He was a terrific sport! And we got first prize for comedy and audience pick :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds and looks so delicious Weiya! I'd like to eat the very spicy version with you someday :) It also seems to be very easy to make and not a very expensive meal for a student with a budget. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I always have tofu in the fridge, I'm going to try this out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weiya, I will try this... especially since you toned down the spicy haha

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)