Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Tuesday, June 5

PART I: BRINGING UP BEBE


I was so excited this past weekend when my local library called to let me know that Bringing up Bebe was no longer on hold! I've been eagerly awaiting it for weeks and was happy to finally get my hands on it. I'm about halfway through the book and it's been extremely fascinating so far...

In France, it's common for babies to start sleeping through the night at 2-3 months, for toddlers to sit at a restaurant calmly and happily without causing a scene and knocking things down, for moms to carry on a phone conversation or finish a cup of coffee without their child screaming and demanding their attention, etc.

So far everything that's been discussed boiled down to this: teaching kids patience (even at a few weeks old), making them understand that they can't have everything right away and teaching them to cope with frustration. By providing them with many opportunities to "wait," they are able to learn at an early age how to self-soothe, how to entertain themselves, how to self-distract (like singing little songs to themselves, making up a game for himself to play, etc.). This will help them learn how to deal with life in a healthy way and not have as many meltdowns in the future.

I also agreed with how children should learn their place in the home and that it's not all about them.  This teaches them responsibility as well as respect and empathy for others.  

Actually as you read, you will find that a lot of it just seems like common sense. I really appreciated that the author was not trying to uplift one parenting style over another, however simply gave another perspective to parenting and how this approach benefited kids in the long run. A lot of pressure and guilt over not being a super mom was taken away after getting into this book...

As a Christian, of course I know that praying for E and bringing him to know the Lord is the best thing I can do for him. However, as far as teaching him proper character, I feel like this book has been very helpful too!

I still have a lot more reading to go, but I'll definitely keep you all updated. Have any of you read this before? Any thoughts or comments are greatly welcomed! :)

4 comments:

  1. Sounds an interesting read !!

    Let me know your thoughts when you have finished the book, it maybe something I would like to read :)

    Have a great day

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first heard about this book on the Today show and since then, I've seen it a few times here and there. I want to read it too because when I heard the interview with the author, I was fascinated by their parenting style. It's on my list of must reads too. We have a toddler and any advice is helpful!

    Take care,
    Jen

    P.S. Thanks for the sweet, encouraging comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have kids but love to read parenting books (in prep for when I do have kids) I am certainly adding this one to my list! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy and it and yes, please keep sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)