Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Wednesday, May 16

[NO MSG] CURRY WITH CHICKEN & SWEET POTATOES



A friend of mine recently asked me for this recipe, because she's trying to avoid MSG and preservatives. I thought I'd share it with you all as well. Unlike the curry recipe that I posted earlier in the year, this one's a healthier and milder version that uses sweet potatoes instead of plain ol' potatoes. Instead of using the S&B Golden Curry cubes that contain MSG, I just use curry powder and a light broth mixture. 


Ingredients
broth mixture = 2 C of water + 1 T of organic chicken broth paste

5 boneless skinless chicken thighs (cut-up into bite-size pieces)
1 large sweet potato (cut into large chunks)
1 T oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 T + 1/2 T curry powder
Cornstarch/Arrowroot Mixture
2 T cornstarch + 2 T water

onions* (optional)
ground white pepper* (optional)



Side note: I know that buying organic can get expensive and is not always possible financially.  However, I highly recommend this organic chicken broth paste that I bought from Costco.  This $6 jar can make a total of 19 quarts of broth (which at $3 a carton would've cost you $57). Not only is it HUGE in savings, but it's also a huge space saver! Costco also carries the beef version too.  

Also depending on the type of curry powder, it could affect how spicy your dish will turn out. Make sure to test it first before serving it to your kids! :)









Directions
Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan and add the paste to make your broth. Set aside.

Heat 1 T of oil in a large saute pan or wok. Sprinkle in the salt evenly on the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken and quickly stir it around. Sprinkle 1/2 T of curry powder evenly over the chicken. Cook for about 3 minutes.

(If you like onions, saute the onions first before adding in the chicken.)

Add in the sweet potatoes and stir. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 T of curry evenly over the chicken and cook for another 5 minutes.

Pour in the chicken broth and bring it back to a boil. Cover with a lid (leaving a small opening to keep the sauce from bubbling over) and turn the heat down to medium low. Cook for another 20 minutes.

Bring the heat back up to medium high and add the cornstarch mixture. Stir until the sauce thickens (~1-2 minutes).


Serve over rice. Sprinkle on some ground white pepper for an extra kick! Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. mmm -- looks tasty! we try to avoid msg because it seems to be a headache trigger around here =/ But it seems a lot of my childhood faves have a heaping dose of msg... How long does the broth paste keep once opened?

    ReplyDelete
  2. weiya! This sounds so yummy, I just might have to give this a try next week. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)