Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Wednesday, May 30

DIY STENCILED TEA CUPS


When I started blogging this January, I didn't really know what to expect or the relationships that would be formed here. This morning I woke up to the sweetest email from a blogging buddy that I've gotten to know and was beyond touched by her generosity and thoughtfulness!

Being new to this community, I was lucky to have "met" a few very successful bloggers. However, a lot of times you get the feeling that it's all just "business" which is totally fine. But once in a while, you stumble upon some who go above and beyond to reach out to you. Even though they're doing super well, they still take the time to help out newbies like myself. ;)

So thank you, dear friend! I am a thousand times grateful to have gotten to know you!

Ok, now on to my little project...


When my husband and I first got married and was living in the Midwest, we had a little apartment by the beautiful Lake Michigan. We made so many wonderful memories there even though our stay was very brief. 


Being newlyweds with our first *temporary* home to furnish, I we were more than excited and drove to the nearest IKEA (which was 2 hours away) the first weekend we moved there. We came home with a futon sofa, a dining table and a few folding chairs. Among some other smaller items I found was this tea cup set in the clearance section! It was marked down to only $2 because it was missing a cup. Not bad, huh? :)



I loved the fact that they were plain so that I could personalize them myself. However after 5 years, they were still hanging out in our cabinet untouched... until this week! :D

The Martha Stewart Craft collection has one of the best stencils I've seen. I'm pretty much in love with everything from her collection...o.O Most of her stuff are pretty pricey though, but if you have enough 40% coupons from Michaels, Joann's, and Hobby Lobby saved up then it's really not that bad.

For this project I used her typewriter adhesive stencils, foam pouncer, and multi-purpose satin acrylic paint in mace and surf (this paint works on everything... no need to buy different kinds of paint anymore!).




Simply adhere your stencils and dab the paint on with a foam pouncer. Peel off the stencils while wet.







On a cookie sheet, bake the cups at 400 degrees for half an hour to set the paint and you're done!







Wasn't that easy? I love how they turned out and use them all the time now! :) Have any of you stenciled anything lately? Love to hear from you!


13 comments:

  1. how adorable! I've seen a lot of handwriting-on-ceramics examples, but your stencils are [imo] much cuter. Is the paint rated for glazed ceramic surfaces or is that just a trick you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo i love these!! Good job weiyaweiya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the best Weiya!! I'm truly VERY VERY lucky to have you as a friend :)

    I LOVE THE CUPS!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are so adorable! I bet they forgive you for having them stashed away for 5 years... since you made them look so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

      Delete
  4. Your cups turned out beautifully! Your blog is great...your almond bundt cake looks amazing! I'm following you and would love for you to come visit sometime! Looking forward to your next post.

    Marilyn
    4you-withlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved reading this post, Weiya!
    Great job on the cups. :)

    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pinned this! I really dislike Ikea - I feel...trapped...when I am there. I feel like there is no way out. Crazy? Maybe! Now, I must go there and check out the clearance section! I am excited and nervous already and I am not even planning to go there until this weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so, so, so cute. Stenciling always seems so daunting to me, but you make it look so easy! Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um...the sweetest thing ever. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! they turned out absolutely amazing! can i have them?! (lol, just kidding) but seriously, great job. can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love it! i want to stencil all of my mugs:)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)