Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Tuesday, April 24

[SZECHUAN] HOMEMADE CHILI OIL

As promised, I will be sharing some of my favorite spicy dishes with you this week. I have a special love for spicy foods and Szechuan cuisine is one of my favorites (next to Korean!). Chili oil is the secret ingredient in many of these dishes and it can be easily made at home.  I initially came across this easy chili oil recipe from Almost Bourdain's blog. Sadly, Ellie's amazing blog is no longer open to the public. Here's my tweaked version of her wonderful recipe:


Ingredients
1 C canola or vegetable oil
3 stalks of scallion
4-5 slices of ginger
6 T chili powder
3 star anise

Directions
Combine the chili powder and star anise in a heatproof bowl. Set aside.

Heat oil over medium high heat in a small saucepan or skillet. Once hot, add the scallions and ginger. Heat until the oil's fragrant (~5-10 min) and remove the scallions and ginger.   

Immediately pour the hot oil into the heatproof bowl and mix all the ingredients together.  

Let the mixture sit out in room temperature for at least a day. Once all the oil has risen to the top, carefully transfer the oil into the container of your choice. Store up to two months.  

Once you have your chili oil, you will be ready for my next two dishes:

Wed: Szechuan Boiled Fish
Thurs: Szechuan Red Oil Wontons

Stay tuned!

6 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm your newest follower and co-host of this month's blog hop. Thanks so much for joining in on the fun :) I'm looking forward to getting you know you better!


    Oh yum! I am a spicy food addict.. seriously! I can't wait to hear about your wonton recipe. Let me know if you are ever interested in guest posting some recipes some time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I'm going to have to try this! I am your newest follower from the Networking Blog Hop! I would love if you would check out my blog and if you like what you see please follow back :)
    Modern Modest Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! Thanks for stopping by earlier and leaving me a super sweet note! I'm excited to be your newest follower!

    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought of making my own hot oil, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there. I was wondering whether you would like to link this in to Food on Friday: Chillies and other spicy stuff. This is the link. You did some time ago link in a great dish to Food on Friday: Asian Food. I now realize that I haven't been following your blog. Sorry about that. I have signed up to follow now. It would be great if you followed Carole's Chatter back. Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)