Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Thursday, April 12

DIY VEGGIE RINSE

Before I had E, I would've never noticed or even given this sentence a second thought.  Now I'm picking up on everything and noticing how almost all produce are sprayed with some kind of pesticide these days. Unless you grow your own produce or have been buying everything organic, you and I have already consumed a ton of pesticide already.  This article by Global Health Healing made my stomach turn.

Which is why I wanted to share this post with you.  Agricultural pesticide does not come off easily with water or otherwise farmers wouldn't use it.  According to some comparative testing done by Cook's Illustrated, washing produce in a solution of diluted vinegar and then rinsing it under water removed 98% of the bacteria and pesticide residue.  

There is no need to go out and buy expensive veggie rinses.  Everything you need is already in your pantry.  After doing some research online, here's the best mix I found:


Ingredients:
1 T organic lemon juice
2 T baking powder
3/4 C distilled vinegar
1 C water

Directions:
Mix all these ingredients in a spray bottle and shake each time before use. Spray your produce and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Rinse with water before consuming.  


* For harder to clean vegetables like spinach, broccoli and lettuce, soaking is recommended.
* Avoid spraying or soaking mushrooms since they absorb water.  
* A good scrub brush is also effective in removing bacteria.  

Also for a list of the "dirty dozen" check out this article from CNN. 

Eating healthy shouldn't put a hole in our wallet. I'm so glad that there are simple and budget-friendly ways in which we can all take better care of ourselves and our family. :)

1 comment:

  1. Very Good Point about the your blog when I search in google your blog get ranking good all blog post are very informative. Kindly post about Interior Designs In Chennai & Modular Kitchen in Chennai related.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)