Join me on Facebook Join me on Pinterest Follow me on Bloglovin Email me

Thursday, February 9

COMFORT FOOD: TOMATO & EGG

When we first came to America, I was only four and a half years old.  My dad came to study, while my mom worked a part-time job to support us.  Money was very scarce, and I always remembered that we could only buy things that were 99 cents or less.  Eggs, apples, and chicken were among the few staple items every week. Once in a while, they'd treat me with jello cups that were 4 for $1. 

It's funny how I don't really remember us being poor.  What I do remember though was how much fun my parents always made everything and how much they made me appreciate even the little things. It was a huge deal to eat a 99 cents whopper from Burger King. It was an even bigger deal to eat a $2.99 chicken sandwich there on my birthday. :)

Of course eating out didn't happen often. Good thing my parents were awesome cooks! This tomato and egg dish was one of my favorites that my mom use to make for me.  It was simple and cheap, but amazingly yummy and comforting! :) 



Last night, I started missing this dish and decided to make it myself.  To my husband's relief, it was a success! ;) Here's how I made it:

Ingredients
1 large ripe tomato (sliced into wedges)
3 large eggs (lightly beaten)
3 T oil
1/8 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp oyster sauce
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1/4 C of chicken broth
scallions (chopped finely)

Directions
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil over high heat.  Combine eggs, white pepper, sesame oil, and oyster sauce.  When the oil is hot, pour the egg mixture into the pan.  Once the outer edges form, gently break the mixture apart. When it's fully cooked, remove the eggs and set them aside on a plate.

Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over medium high heat.  Pour the tomatoes in and start moving them around.  Add the chicken broth, salt, and sugar. Stir then cover for about 30 seconds.  Once you take the lid off, you should see a lot of liquid released from the tomatoes.  Add in the eggs and cook for another minute.

Garnish with scallions and serve over rice. Enjoy! :)


much grace,



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post! I used to have a Taiwanese roommate who made this delicious dish (but i think she also added garlic) and I never got to ask her how to make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it tastes as good as your roommate's! :)

      Delete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! :)